Radical/Progressive Queer News and Commentary
from Memphis, Tennessee
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Log Cabin (Uncle Tom) Republicans Endorse John McCain
Once again, the Uncle Tom Log Cabin Republicans have sold out the LGBT community! While every other LGBT political organization has condemned the GOP ticket's anti-gay agenda, the Uncle Tom Republicans have thrown us under the bus!
Why? Because he voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment! Nevermind that he not only supported, but starred in ads for, the Arizona anti-gay marriage amendment, and supports all other such anti-gay state amendments! Nevermind that John McCain has sold his soul to the Christian Right and now embraces their anti-gay, theocratic agenda! Nevermind that John McCain/Sarah Palin oppose the Employment Non-Discrimination Act! Nevermind that Jonn McCain/Sarah Palin support the anti-gay "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy!
The choice between the team of Senators Barack Obama and Joe Biden and the anti-equality ticket of Senator John McCain and Governor Sarah Palin could not not be more clear. On virtually every issue of equality, the two tickets come down on starkly different sides.
Obama/Biden: Supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act McCain/Palin: Opposes the Employment Non-Discrimination Act
Obama/Biden: Supports federal hate crimes legislation McCain/Palin: Opposes federal hate crimes legislation
Obama/Biden: Supports adoption rights for LGBT Americans McCain/Palin: Opposes adoption rights for LGBT Americans
Obama/Biden: Supports federal benefits for same-sex couples McCain/Palin: Opposes federal benefits for same-sex couples
Obama/Biden: Supports the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" McCain/Palin: Opposes the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"
Obama/Biden: Supports immigration equality for same-sex couples McCain/Palin: Opposes immigration equality for same-sex couples
Obama/Biden: Supports the repeal of the "Defense of Marriage Act" McCain/Palin: Opposes the repeal of the "Defense of Marriage Act"
- When asked by the Family Research Council to star in an anti-equality ad in Arizona (in support of an anti-marriage constitutional amendment), John McCain said "yes." Voters in his home state ultimately rejected his plea to support the discriminatory measure.
- The 2008 Republican Party Platform, written under the leadership of John McCain, clearly calls for legal discrimination against LGBT Americans in adoption, family law and military service.
- Sarah Palin campaigned for the anti-marriage constitutional amendment in Alaska. The amendment served as a model for anti-LGBT activists across the country as they sought to pass similar measures in other states.
- Sarah Palin currently supports efforts to strip Alaska employees of workplace benefits simply because of their sexual orientation. In fact, Sarah Palin has lent her support to a ballot initiative along these lines.
- Sarah Palin wasted $1.2 million in taxpayer money on a "vanity" vote which asked Alaska residents if the state government should discriminate against state employees simply based on their sexual orientation. The vote was non-binding and the only subject on the ballot. Yet, the legislation calling for the vote was important enough to Palin for her to make it the first piece of legislation that she signed into law.