Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Obama Defends Gays Again...

Obama on Scapegoating Gays and the Golden Rule

To applause on Friday, Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) spoke of his Christian faith and acceptance of LGBT people at a campaign stop in Beaumont, Texas.

"I believe that everybody in this country should be treated equally," says the Senator, "and that means people should be treated equally on the basis of race, they should be treated equally on the basis of gender, and they should be treated equally on the basis of sexual orientation."

"Now, I am a Christian," he goes on. "I praise Jesus every Sunday. But, I just want everybody here to know that sometimes, particularly in the African-American community and the church sometimes, I hear people saying things that I don't think are very Christian with respect to people who are gay and lesbian.

"I think everybody has the right to their own values, and their own religion, and their own practices, but I also know that the Sermon on the Mount says treat people as you'd want to be treated."

See the speech on You Tube

No comments: