Thursday, February 21, 2008

Obama Vs. Clinton




Tonight's Obama vs. Hillary Clinton Debate in Texas is wrapping up. Hillary Clinton has continued her negative attacks against Obama (accusing him of copying speeches, etc.). The crowd booed Clinton when she accused Obama of "xeroxing" change.

I was shocked to hear a Clinton speech yesterday where she actually took a shot at Michelle Obama, copying John McCain's wife, by attacking her patriotism! She said something like "I have ALWAYS been proud of my country.." Also, Thom Hartmann pointed out on his radio program yesterday that the clip of Michelle Obama that the right-wing media (and the Clinton campaign) has been playing over and over was EDITED! The edited clip has her saying "For the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country," but she actually said, "For the first time in my adult time I'm REALLY proud of my country"! The word "really" was cut out, totally changing the meaning and emphasis of our comment about how proud she was about how voters are energized and have join her husband's campaign.
Here's the video of what Michelle Obama REALLY said

Hillary has been sounding a lot like a Republican attack dog this week, accusing Obama of being all talk, no substance, etc.
HIllary was more aggressive than Obama in the debate, he tried to rise above her negative attacks, but I think he needs to learn to fight back more aggressively. I found myself debating Hillary at times, and wishing he would go after her "record". Obama's main "weakness" is that he really believes in staying positive, but the reality is that in American politics you have to be able to give back.

If I were Obama, I would have pointed out that Hillary's "record" on health care was a FAILURE. And her new plan's mandates have also FAILED in places like Massachusetts. And I would turn the question about legislative successes around and ask what exactly has Hillary Clinton accomplished in her two terms in the Senate, other than supporting the illegal invasion of Iraq and cave in to the Bush administration on issues like Iran, etc. ?

The debate did end on a good note, when Hillary said she was honored to be debating Obama.
Politico blogger Ben SMith points out that Hillary Clinton "copied" her big line at the end of the debate from John Edwards!

Clinton Tonight:

You know, whatever happens, we're going to be fine. You know, we have strong support from our families and our friends. I just hope that we'll be able to say the same thing about the American people. And that's what this election should be about.?

Edwards the December 13 debate:

What's not at stake are any of us. All of us are going to be just fine no matter what happens in this election. But what's at stake is whether America is going to be fine.?

(She also "xeroxed" John Edwards Health Care plan!)

Huffington Post has a good summary and analysis of the debate.

No comments: