Sunday, December 24, 2006

War on "Christmas"?

It's that time of year again, Bill O'Reilly (Fox News) and his christo-fascist fans have been doing their annual whinning about the "War on Christmas" by us mean ol' secular humanist liberals. I haven't seen much evidence of it, but facts do not matter to these fanatics. To the theocon christo-fascists, any recognition of diverse religious and non-religious holiday observances which conflict with their religious Christmas holiday is an attack on baby Jesus and his followers. Is it really too much to include all "Happy Holidays" rather than only one--Merry Christmas??
As an atheist, I still send Christmas cards and say "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays" or Happy New Year, some of my friends have joked about it. I think "Christmas" has become more than just a religious observance of the supposed birthday of jesus christ. Many atheists and secular humanists observe "Winter Solstice" rather than christmas, but I sill like "Christmas", I put up a tree and decorate it, I like getting a bonus at work I can use to buy presents for family and friends (and myself!), and I like haveing some time off work to be with family.
So I say "Merry Christmas"! Happy Holidays!
Or as little Tim says in A Christmas Carol, one of my favorite books/movies about the evils of materialistic laissez-faire capitalism, "Merry Christmas to all!"

1 comment:

David Hall said...

I like "Happy Buddhamas." Check out how the thumpers respond to that.

Wow, hot pink.