Friday, October 05, 2007

Memphis Election Thoughts

I haven't been able to assess how all the winning candidates for Memphis City Council will affect the gay community, but several of them are supportive of equality. As far as Mayor goes, too bad Herman Morris did not win. I think he could have probably done the best job of uniting Memphis (black & white, gay & straight). Some will blame him for helping Herenton get re-elected by taking votes from Carol Chumney, but that argument could go either way. If Chumney had stayed in the City Council, Herman Morris would be our new Mayor. And if Chumney had publicly supported equal rights for gays and lesbians, she would have received more votes. I have no regrets voting for Herman Morris since he had the courage to defend the civil rights of gays and lesbians. I want to thank Morris for reaching out to the gay community, and I wish we could have done more to support him.

No comments: