Sunday, November 05, 2006

Ted Haggard Confesses: "I'm a Liar and Deceiver"

It's Sunday, and time for Ted Haggard to confess his "sins":
---
A.P. Nov. 5:

The disgraced former president of the National Association of Evangelicals, which represents 30 million evangelical Christians, apologized and said "because of pride, I began deceiving those I love the most because I didn't want to hurt or disappoint them."

"The fact is I am guilty of sexual immorality. And I take responsibility for the entire problem. I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," he said.

----

Well, Ted, you were a liar and deceiver about a lot of things, like that anti-gay marriage stuff.

What is it with you anti-gay homophobes? Are you all repressed homos? Maybe Freud was right about you people..

1 comment:

Jim Maynard said...

I think Freud was correct about "repressed" homosexuality being a common underlying factor in a lot of "pathological" behavior. I also agree with Freud that we are all potentially "bisexual" at birth, to some degree, and I agree with Kinsey that "sexual orientation" is not either/or (Gay/Straight), most people fall somewhere inbetween. So depending upon where one is on that continuum of feelings, desires, behaviors and identity, sure people can "choose" their identity and lifestyle("straight/Christian"). People don't necessarily "choose" their sexual attraction/desires ("sexual orientation"), etc. but they can choose how they will act upon them.
So some Christian fundamentalists who repress their homosexual feelings can "choose" to live a "Striaght Christian" lifestyle, but they don't seem to be able to get rid of those "natural" homosexual attractions, thus they usually end up like Ted Haggard and other "ex-straight/ex-gays"..
They live a lie to conform to their religious indoctrination.

I don't buy the biology/no choice argument, but sexual orienation is complex and cannot be reduced to choice/no choice or biology/behavior
(See th Queer By Choice link to the right for lots of information on the sociological, pschological and biological research... both sides are guilty of over simplifying the scientific evidence..)

Personally, I don't think it matters if people choose to be gay/straight, learn to be gay/straight/ or are born with an inclination one way or ther other..
We should have the right to CHOOSE our sexual preference/identities just like our religion or our politics.