Saturday, March 28, 2009

LGBT Executives: How Much Are They Paid?


Washington Blade is reporting on the salaries of executive directors of the top LGBT organizations in the U.S.
How Much Do They Make?
Given the current scandals surrounding CEO salaries and "bonuses" in U.S. corporations, maybe the timing for this discussion is not good, or maybe it is. As an activist who organized and lead several LGBT organizations in my lifetime, with NO pay, I don't think anyone leading LGBT organizations should be in the job for money. I agree that many of the directors of these groups do important work and should be compensated, but $300,000? Should a "leader" of a LGBT organization like Human Rights Campaign, which begs me for $100 donations when I cannot pay my rent, be getting paid over $300,000? Why should directors of non-profit organizations be getting paid as much or more than the President of the United States?

The two LGBT groups I give money to when I can, the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force (Task Force) and Stonewall Democrats are LOW on this list, and I think Jon Hoadley is underpaid for Stonewall Democrats ($59,000), especially considering the bankrupt (in more ways than one) Log Cabin Republican director gets paid $142,000.

So as in the world of work in general, monetary compensation does not always relate to the value of work people do..

View Chart: Salaries of LGBT Leaders

UPDATE: HRC Seeks Pay, Benefit Cuts from Union Employees (Maybe HRC should cut the salary of Joe Salmonese from $330,000 down to under $100,000!)

1 comment:

Myron said...

lol, I agree so much.