Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry War on Christmas

The Religious Right and Bill O'Reilly continue their war on the "War on Christmas," to impose Christianity on all of us this "holiday season." But who is really waging a "War on Christmas"??

Christmas celebrates Progressive values!

Although I am no longer a Christian, I still love Charles Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL, probably the best celebration of what Christmas should be about! Peace, Social Justice, Love, Family, Community.. Progressive Values! If you watch A Christmas Carol (I like the George C. Scott version, or one of the old b&w ones), you will see the difference between conservative values (The Scrooge! "Aren't there enough poor houses?"), and liberal values (family, love, community, etc.)

The real "War on Christmas" is being waged by capitalism and materialism. By emphasizing consumerism and buying things, capitalism has subverted the true meaning of Christmas.

While I'm an atheist, I like to celebrate "Christmas" with my family and focus on peace, etc.

Like many people, I was unable to buy many Christmas gifts this year, but I'm spending tim with my mom and family here in Mountain Home, Arkansas. We don't have many presents under the tree, but we are celebrating the true meaning of Christmas.

Meanwhile, the religious right is using the "War on Christmas" to further their theocratic political agenda.

Merry War on Christmas: The Christian Right Isn't Going Anywhere

No comments: